10 October 2019
- Watch on Parliament TV: Follow up to PHSO report ‘Missed Opportunities’
- Inquiry: Follow up to PHSO report ‘Missed Opportunities’
- Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee
In June 2019, the PHSO published its report Missed opportunities: What lessons can be learned from failings at the North Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust. The report focused on two cases where significant, repeated failings in the care and treatment of two young men admitted to the NEP occurred and recommended that an NHS Improvement review be initiated; with a remit that includes determining whether a public inquiry should also be held.
Purpose of the session
In this session, the Committee will question witnesses on key issues raised in the report. It will seek an update on what progress has been made on improving patient safety in mental health services, improving leadership and creating a culture of learning. The Committee will hear from representatives of NHS England, NHS Improvement, the Department of Health and Social Care, and the Minister for Mental Health.
Tuesday 15 October 2019, Committee Room 5, Palace of Westminster
- Nadine Dorries MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Mental Health, Suicide Prevention and Patient Safety, Department of Health and Social Care
- William Vineall, Director of Acute Care and Quality Policy, Department of Health and Social Care
- Professor Tim Kendall, National Clinical Director for Mental Health, NHS England and NHS Improvement